AYURVEDIC VEGETABLE STEW. Author: Melissa Martin
Recipe type: Main Dish, Stew
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 small sweet potatoes (skin on), cubed
- 2-3 cups kohlrabi greens, chopped (or spinach/kale/collards /chard)
- 1 small red beet, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup purple cauliflower, chopped
- ½ head Savoy cabbage, shredded
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro washed, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp. ghee (or coconut oil)
- *we make our own ghee and ship anywhere
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 4-5 cups of organic low sodium vegetable broth, or homemade
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- In a medium size pot, heat the ghee over medium heat. Add curry powder & mix.
- Add garlic & onion, stirring frequently for 4-5 minute or until it is a golden color. Add ginger & cook for one minute longer.
- Stir in celery, carrot, beet, sweet potato & cauliflower, & cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 4-5 cups of boiling water, reduce to a simmer, cover & cook for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add the greens & simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add salt to taste & garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
The makings of any Ayurvedic soup starts with warming ghee, adding the spices & giving it a good swirl. Ghee helps the body to better absorb the antioxidants found in these sweet warming spices, & also helps to infuse the flavors.